Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Croup'ed Up...
Brenden has the croup...this is his second time. Technically the first time was overshadowed by the RSV in Feb. So, when things started to go south I was on the phone pronto with Dr. P! It started out like a regular cold that got worse fast. His sniffles and sneezes added a new sound – a raspy, barky cough - and a low grade fever that we couldn't get to break. The main cause of croup is a viral infection that affects the voice box. (I'm fairly certain he got the virus from his father who has been snorting and snotting for a week.) The barky cough that characterizes the croup is the result of his vocal cords swelling. Children who repeatedly suffer from the croup are considered to have spasmodic croup. This is an allergy induced croup cough brought on by a child’s seasonal allergies, that unfortunately for Brenden he is blessed with allergy ailments on both sides of his gene pool! So, Elliott and I have had a few sleep deprived nights lately. Have you tried to get a 20 month old to sleep at an incline? Or attempted to sleep in the recliner with such a little monkey? I remember when Elliott and Bren would crash out in the recliner peaceful as could be. Not any more. Bren is a mover and shaker in his sleep. He uses every inch available. At one point he was sprawled out across me like Jesus on the cross while we attempted inclined sleeping in the recliner. Then he would cough, and wake up, and cry. Poor little guy. He got like 3+ showers with Dad in one day to steam up the lungs. So, he's clean! :) The only bonus is he is getting to spend some quality time with Papa Steve as Dad is out of town and I'm in harvest...sort of. Grandma V was busy so it's just the boys. Brenden even woke up this morning asking for Papa...wouldn't come to me. Probably b/c I'm the one torturing him with drugs and toe nail clipping! Mean old mama! He's on the road to recovery and will be back at daycare tomorrow. I'm sure he's totally bored at home..even with Papa!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment