Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquakes...in ILLINOIS!?!

So, Elliott and I woke up about 4:40ish this morning to the baby monitor making this amazingly odd noise. If Brenden was a toddler, I'd have sworn he was up, shaking his crib. So, I dart to the nursery to see what's going on in there. The monitor is shaking and the dresser it's sitting on is moving! Elliott comes in and I say, "Gosh, that wind is bad!" To which my darling hubbie responds, "Amy, wind doesn't make the floor move! I - pause - think - pause - it's an earthquake??? The dresser in our bedroom was shaking!" huh?? It's an eight drawer dresser...the wind is not moving that! What?? Then, I thought Tornado! Looked outside and all was calm. Not much wind. What is going on?!? Sure, we know we are on the New Madrid fault, but really an earthquake? Here in Decatur, IL?? What? Brenden was sound asleep and actually doing that cute thing where he smiles in his sleep. Probably b/c he woke up at 2am this morning and was now sleeping peacefully after his hour long play. Anyway, yes, turns out it was truly and earthquake. It was a 5.4 on the Richter Scale. Largest in Illinois history. The epicenter was in Southern Illinois and cause quite a bit of damage all the way to Louisville, KY. Then, around 10:15am we had a second quake. It registered 4.6 on the Richter Scale! My boss's office is in the basement of our building. You bet he sure came upstairs in quick fashion! It's been an interesting day for sure. I've experienced my first and second earthquakes! I'll have to make note in Brenden's baby book, that he too has experienced some firsts today!

No comments: