Monday, February 23, 2009

I received this e-mail alert today...now they tell me! :-)

RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus)
Chances your child will catch it:
90 percent of children are infected by age 2.

Symptoms: RSV causes common cold symptoms and in up to 40 percent of cases triggers bronchiolitis, an infection of the small airways, which leads to wheezing, rapid breathing, and a persistent cough.

Contagious? Yes, both during the incubation period (four to six days) and for three to eight days afterward.

Rx: Treat RSV as you would a cold. But call your doctor ASAP if your child has fast or labored breathing. He might need inhaled medication or, in severe cases, could require hospitalization

1 comment:

Kelly said...

RSV scares me! I know I can't sit around and worry about stuff like this, but Montana had had RSV recently before he died ... I'm not looking forward to my baby ever getting sick! I know I'll be so sad and worried if he gets sick! Sorry you guys had to go through all of that with the hospital stay. Glad Bren is BETTER!!! :)